Thursday, August 4, 2011

Email me. sharkymary@gmail.com Seriously.

My son is sweet and wants me to be happy. He knows nothing makes me happier than people getting their ass bit by a shark.

He walks into the house proudly yesterday and says with an exagerrated building to a surprise..."...IIIII knnoooww soooommeethhinggg that willl makkke you happpyyyyy....!" As he picks up the remote and waits for me to start jumping up and down with anticipation.

Since I am a working mother of two, I rarely show the kind of enthusiasm I should, and instead said "Sit down and find something to do while I make you something unhealthy for dinner."

"MOM! It's something called 'shark week'. I know you love sharks so just tell me what numbers to push to make shark week go on the TV."

"Adrian, you're going to watch shark week with me!?!?? You are so sweet. Let's go get my stuffed shark to hold while we watch. And my shark cookies to eat. Oh my gosh this will be so sharkyfun!"

We eat dinner in front of the TV. Adrian doesn't even seem to be disappointed that we're watching this instead of some unrealistically hot middle schooler making jokes she can't possibly understand on a web show.

The first show we watch is about shark attacks. I already know all about them since they've played the same shark shows on shark week since 1987 AND I have them all on DVD. Because I am really sexy.

I get a little bored and start thinking about mint creme oreos and walk to the kitchen. When I come back in,  a few minutes later with black teeth, there is an ACTUAL home video of a lady getting attacked by a 16 foot great white shark while swimming near her cruise ship. It's horrifying.








I quickly grab the remote and change it to something less traumatizing. Like True Blood.




Adrian hasn't said anything in a while. I kind of bite my lip and do some dancing and try not to catch his eye.




Mary: Adrian....do you want some money and a trampoline bed?



Adrian:...........................



Mary: Do you want Mommy to start going to church?



Adrian:................................



Mary: Here. Here's some Tylenol PM.




Adrian: Why. Do. You. Like. Sharks.




Mary: Ummm......I'm...sorry?



Adrian: He just bit a nice lady's leg off when she wasn't even being mean to anybody.



Mary: I know. They don't actually like the way humans taste. Most of the time they just think we are another animal and once they bite us they go away because we taste like non gel-cap aspirin.


Adrian:  Why would you like something that swims up and bites somebody?



Mary: Listen, I know that was scary bu-



Adrian: No. I am not scared. But we need to sit down and talk about why you LIKE SHARKS.




Adrian: (hands me back my stuffed bull shark)



Adrian: (grabs the remote and turns off the TV)



Adrian: (walks to the couch and lays down on it to think about his mom's life choices)



Adrian: When we saw the sharks at the aquarium, they didn't try to bite us through the glass. So....the sharks you like...are nice... right?




Mary: YEAH! I only like bull sharks. They don't bite people. They just eat mean fish that were....already...sick and dying anyway...




Adrian: But you told Daddy you liked them because they bite unsuspecting stupid asses in fresh water rivers....?



Mary: Did I say that? We'll talk about it another time, okay? Yay! Friendship, rainbows, and nilla wafers! Let's go take a bath.


Adrian: I'll get Ellis. While YOU take the shark toy out of our bathtub.

14 comments:

  1. Hahahaaahahaaaaaaaa I think I need to meet Adrian. It sounds like he would make me really consider my life choices and want to be more mature. I could read Adrian quotes/stories all day, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. super entertaining, as per usual. I don't have any good shark stories to share, but if I did, I guess now would be the time! (Damn, I knew I should've gone on that shark-watch excursion on my honeymoon in Hawaii instead of opting for a gardenia massage by the pool. Next time.)

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is some more information about this incident online.

    The girl in the attack is Heather Boswell, who was 19 at the time:

    http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/shark_attack/viewtopic.php?t=1094
    "I felt something grab my leg and jerk me," recalled Heather Boswell, a 19-year-old Seattleite who had signed on for a six-month term working in the galley of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration research ship Discoverer. Boswell and several of her shipmates were taking a break, swimming in balmy waters some 300 miles east of Easter Island. What she believes was a great white shark first chomped the legs of a seaman swimming nearby, opening wounds that would require more than 50 stitches; as it turned out, he got off easy. Quickly grabbing first Boswell's right leg and then her left, the shark pulled her under, shaking her violently like a dog with a rag doll. When the fish resurfaced, two of Boswell's colleagues in a skiff grabbed her arms while another beat the shark with a stick. Boswell felt her left leg pop. "I thought it was my hip dislocating," she said. Only when the crew pulled her up into the boat did she look down and realize that her leg now ended at midthigh. The shark then headed for another person dangling in the water from a ladder, but shots fired by crewmen on the ship evidently drove it away.

    So, see, the shark didn't take her WHOLE leg. Just MOST of it.

    This article goes into more detail on her recovery:
    http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19940402&slug=1903484
    ...including the fact that her sister gave her a stuffed purple shark that she kept at her bedside in the hospital.

    And for the record, I don't think this is the same Heather Boswell:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-YUxCcvxCU

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian, sometimes grown-ups like to see other grown-ups getting their legs bitten off by a shark because it makes us feel better. Because, um, we still have our legs, and they don't. When you're older and you work 40 hours a week and all you want is to come home to some nice, violent shark footage, you'll understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it possible that Adrian heard Dad talking to you at Jake's about Shark Week and Adrian asked Mat on the way home if you really loved Shark Week? I was trying to figure out where else he could have heard it. I told Dad about the blog and he mentioned that he said something to you about it at Jake's. So, maybe somehow you can blame Dad for this....hahaha. Poor Adrian - he just hates to see anyone hurt!! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying, big hard tears. I can't even stand this...hahahahahahahahaha. Poor poor Adrian!!! "I'll get Ellis. While YOU take the shark toy out of our bathtub."

    Haley Wolfe, I like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DB I don't think that's the same Heather Boswell either...hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know TL, Haley "get"s me. You should follow her blog.

    Thanks for nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie KirkpatrickAugust 8, 2011 at 9:57 PM

    Everyone goes on and on about shark week so I thought I'd see what the all the fuss was about. The only thing I saw was this clip and I actually had a mild panic attack and couldn't sleep. I may or may not have cried a little. I'm with Adrian..What the BLOODY hell is wrong with you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete