Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Importance of Education

I have never been into learning about History.

In fact, I had my husband take "US History since 1877" online for me because I detest it so much. He got me an A because he absorbs those lame stories of honor and swords and stuff with as much passion as I absorb chocolate chip cookies from McDonalds. (Again, if you haven't had them then you are stupid and probably thin)

Today, however, I am a History buff. I am going to tell you the extensive and intricate history behind........



Gerarda Pevostiana.....Also known as Gerard's water snake.



This little pistol of a snake reads books about other weaker snakes swallowing their prey whole and thinks those snakes are pussies and wants to show us how it's really done. I first encountered the mystical asian snake while on assignment in 1992.




There I was, in the middle of Mayanmar, with nothing on me but my wits and some clothes and some weapons and some food. Looking back, I was actually doing quite well.

I crouched down in the mud and leaned my face towards the sun while I dug my nails into the mud and rocks around me and tried to find some crab to roast upon the fire I had constructed with a starter log, pre-cut firewood, and a safety lighter.

I managed to feel the sharp cactus-like leg of a newly-molted king crab and with swift and infinite justice I swung my lunch out from under the rock, spraying black mud across my freshly ironed Gap chinos.

But this leg wasn't attached to a crab. It was a lone leg that had the appearance of being torn away from its body.

I got down on my hands and knees and peered under the rock only to see a giant man-eating asshole Gerard's water snake...tearing a crab apart like it was paying the bills. He didn't even use his fangs, he was such a bad ass predator he just used his coils to prepare the carcas because he doesn't even care how mainstream society tells him he should act.





definitely NOT a Gerard's water snake




If you haven't came into contact with one these crazy ass beasts before...that's because they come from places most blog-readers aren't just hanging out. Like Myanmar, Malaysia, and Gangfonkastin.


So there you have it....the history of my new 14th favorite animal..Gerarda Prevostiana.







(I've never had an assignment, I don't really even know what that means and I was 9 in 1992)


(The gerard's water snake is neither giant, man-eating, or an asshole. It just happened to be what my random article was on Wikipedia and I didn't want you guys to not think I took my shit seriously)

(I may or may not have not actually been to Myanmar, or seen a GWS (Gerard's water snake for the layman) in person)

(I may have made up one of its countries of origin)

17 comments:

  1. And all this time I've been spelling it wrong, I thought it was 'Gangfontiskan', thank you for correcting me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny story! The snake photo freaks me out, though. I HATE creepy-crawly things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, you brought out loud laughing! Love you and love your stuff. Do NOT ~ however ~ love snakes and they are all assholes as far as I'm concerned, except the ones that live in my flower garden and eat the bad bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can lie to me as often as you'd like so long as you keep writing funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Father had an encounter with one of those during WW2. Wasn't pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so funny! thank you - needed the laugh tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eww...don't like snakes, but good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was hilarious!

    The really freaking thing it that I am reading a book about someone going to Myanmar. "Tanner on Ice" by Lawrence Block. It's the last in a series so you can't read it unless you've read the others otherwise it might not make sense. Then again, based on this post, that might not matter. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gees - you had me going. I haven't read your blog before so I really thought you were cool...I mean you - are! but, not the cool as in Bear Grylls type cool, sort of thing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're such a nut. :OD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rofl... loved it. I choose to believe that you were indeed there and have the snagged leg to prove it, but what you don't know is that said snake is still po'ed at you for nicking his lunch and is (admittedly slowly) slithering after you with vengeance in mind... *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this article on the importance of education, I'll be sure to sharing this article for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is something funny. the snake in the picture looks scary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to thank you for your nicely written post.
    Buy Handicrafts Online

    ReplyDelete