Monday, November 5, 2012

November to Remember Kinda. Day 2


Today is November 5, Monday. I have to go back to work today after being off most of late last week for my aforementioned assaulted neck and ear. Here's a picture of my swollen temple on my corn bag so you can feel ultra sorry for me and buy me a vacation to Zurich. 







My new job, let's talk about that. It's hardly "new" anymore. I have been there since May, with visions of free food,  proximity to coffee, and vision insurance dancing in my head; I went strongly into training knowing everybody was about to be blown out of the water. 

That didn't so much happen. I have never had a job that I didn't do well, but these last 3 months were my first quarter on "the floor" and the floor was not kind to me. I basically have a lot of people that I need to sell something. Every time they sell my thing, it goes to my number. If they don't want to sell my thing, they tell me to get the fuck away, and I go find a break room to cry in. I then call customers and try to make friends for the rest of the day, getting shot down every which way by everyone who wants to squash my smiles. I've been working on the weekends, working every evening, never leaving when I am supposed to, and I am still nowhere near where I want to be quota-wise or building relationships-wise.

Do I suck at this job? It appears so. But I am working very hard. I'm used to seeing how something could be done better, and taking those suggestions to someone in the same office as me, and those changes getting implemented. At Giant Computer Corporation, it's more of a "You have suggestions about what? Stop complaining and work harder." Then that's usually followed by an inside joke I don't get to be a part of because I'm still new and I still suck, so I go eat a muffin and think about a vacation to Helsinki. 

We'll have to see where this goes. I have new ideas to try to implement this quarter to see if they will make a difference. Hopefully Giant Computer will see something in me and bring me on to bigger and smilier things. I would eventually like to be a strategic lease rep. They only have a handful of people they support, so they are much less likely to get made cry in a break room 1/3 of the week. They also have the opportunity to travel to their geographic area to visit customers. I think I would love that. So that's on the goal list. I'll keep you advised through my November to Remember Kinda how the job is treating me. 

I also got a new scarf. It's so pretty that I refuse to acknowledge out loud how much it makes my face itch. 



"What'd that person over there pretend to say?"





6 comments:

  1. i hope you can stick it out and get some changes implemented so that you can cry less at work. that's the worst!
    also, you look very pretty and i like your scarf. however, the fact that you said it's itchy is making my neck itch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Itchy is the worst, especially if you look great. And you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously just scratched my neck just thinking about your scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does look fabulous and reminds me of the knit necklace I was wearing yesterday...eek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were you I would blame it on a hurricane. If that doesn't work try sugar cane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is now May 2014 and you are a Strategic Rep - congratulations on making your goal!!!

    ReplyDelete