Friday, May 13, 2011

Here's your sandwich, Dad.

My dad was by far the best athlete in the history of the universe. Including Zeus and Jesus.




This is what my brother and I thought, growing up. To us, he was 9 feet of pure basketball perfection. He could make it to first base in .785 seconds. He could smack a racquetball so hard, it would take our priest's beard off. His golf swing would make supermodels weep with its beauty. He was better-looking than Tom Selleck, and when he told me his muscles were bigger than a tornado's muscles as I sat shriveled in my closet in fear of the drizzling outside my window, I believed him.



He somehow always ended up coaching my sports teams, even though he never signed up to do so. It was as though when some other kid's dad was showing us how to catch a ball I would think, "Listen here you BMI-challenged pathetic excuse for an eight year old basketball team's coach,  my dad can catch a baseball outside of his glove AND he has a mustache. Why don't you go back to frolicking in the daisy field and leave this shit to a real man, okay?"





When I would talk to my dad about the elementary training I was receiving, he would ask questions about the coach's technique, get irritated, offer the unfortunate coach some tips, and inevitably end up in a t-shirt with a cartoon character on it and "coach" on the back, yelling "REBOUND!", "GO TO 2nd", or "MARY STOP CRYING" from the sidelines.



( I always cried when I was taken out of games so the other, not as athletic and not as attractive children could have their "turn")



(I also fouled-out of nearly every single basketball game I played in. I specifically remember kicking an overweight ginger as hard as I could in the gut in a desperate attempt to bring the My Little Ponys to a 1990 victory)



I took my dad and his advice so seriously I did the following activities during my athletic adolescent career:



I slept with a basketball every single night. My dad said it would help me get a better feel for the ball. I felt like it would help me get a better feel for what a sleepless night would feel like it if I married a really fat man with a hard, perforated gut.



In the dead heat of the Oklahoma summer, whenever it was 116 degrees, I would wear a jacket in between pitching innings to "keep my 'pitching' arm 'warm'". It also kept my 11 year old face drippy and delightfully 'warm' as though to ensure I would not have a boyfriend until I was 16 and had outgrown softball and opted for something much more awesome. Like choir.





We would play "Knockout", which was a fun game and helped me to be the most aggressive and physically -abusive ball stealer in the YMCA's history. My dad, brother, and I would all dribble our balls on the court and try to knock each other's out. When yours got knocked out, you were "out". However, mine always got knocked out first, so I would continue to play and try to get my dad's and brother's balls out by any means necessary. Sometimes it included kicking or slapping. It always included crying. If they got on to me for not playing fairly, I would get Mom involved and she would tell them to let me cheat.


But what takes the cake is after every sporting game my dad would ask us to give him a "sandwich". A "sandwich" consisted of saying:








Get it? It was fun to do when you had a good game, but my brother and I weren't the best athletes so most of the time our sandwiches consisted of defeated scripts like this:



Dad: Okay, I know you're hot and sweaty and we refuse to spend money on capri-suns, but let's do a sandwich.



Matthew or Mary: I don't really want to. I just got my ass kicked by the cool kids and I need to use my sexy asthma inhaler.



Dad: Sandwiches are good, come on, we have to learn something from every experience we have.



M or M: Something I did well is that I was nice to the other team, I need to work on batting, fielding, running, and catching, and something else I did well was I hustled.



Hustle: To proceed or work rapidly and energetically.


Brother kicking with a little too much glee.




We ALWAYS used the word "hustled" either at the bottom or the top of our sandwich. I don't even think we knew what it meant, but it always got a positive reaction from my dad and was easy to say. It was one word, two syllables, and made my dad smile and think we would definitely be going to the University of Oklahoma on full athletic scholarships.



I'll finish this blog with a sandwich:



I wrote well and conveyed my message and love for my dad

I need to work on not cussing and being funny and famous

I hustled

26 comments:

  1. I specifically remember kicking an overweight ginger as hard as I could in the gut in a desperate attempt to bring the My Little Ponys to a 1990 victory.....I think that overweight ginger was me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was wonderful. I remember when you scored all the points in one game of basketball. I also remember in soccer seeing a big bunch of little girls all fighting for the ball and somehow you would come out of the bunch and run and score! Dad will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the shadow of Dad's massive arm is preventing my little boy balls from being seen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahahahaha. I could use a sandwich right now, but I'm not sure what you'd use as the bread... I guess an Atkins diet sandwich with only "hustle" on the bottom. I also love your mention of crying several times... because anyone that knows MFlo knows how accurate this story is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Dad: For such an outstanding blog, I, with my Dad-like authority, declare you "LIFETIME KNOCKOUT CHAMPION". Well done!
    P.S. Remember to use the backboard, Mary....use the backboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "use the backboard, Mary, use the backboard"! Hahahahahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad is hoping none of the little boys will raise their hand at half time and ask "can we get jackets to match our uniforms" (coaching little girls who were more interested in what they were wearing than any portion of the game - except for Mary)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Export5th Packers and Movers India to chase your dreams of any kind or as a student to get higher education or any other purpose, if yes then you need to get in touch with the right relocation service providers who could endow you with the complete range of services without any sort of hassle. Efforts to get in touch with someone who is able to match all your demands and all sufficient to help you with all your requirements in a fully comfortable manner.

    Packers and Movers Pune

    Packers and Movers Mumbai

    Packers and Movers Hyderabad

    Packers and Movers Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are various options to find such service providers but finding someone trustworthy with the great reputation and clean track record is a tricky task, for that you need to be a bit of prepared so that you are not duped by the swindle service providers. Considering such points, we have come in the market to assist you with all your requirements and to endow you with the best movers and packers in Ahmedabad nearby your location.

    Packers and Movers in Delhi

    Packers and Movers in Noida

    Packers and Movers in Faridabad

    Packers and Movers in Ghaziabad

    ReplyDelete